Saturday, December 02, 2006

The wronger he is, the stupider he gets

Awhile back, I opined that George W. Bush was the worst President in my lifetime -- by a nose over Jimmy Carter -- but in light of his exponentially-increasing state of denial over recent events, I'm going to have to strengthen that booby prize a bit and say that, unless I've missed something, Bush is in serious contention for the distinction of being the worst in American history, period.

This observation would almost seem too obvious to bother making -- and it has been made by countless media pundits already. But I can't help shaking my head at the way Bush gets more intransigent, the more disastrous things get in Iraq. And now that the Baker-Hamilton panel, appointed by Congress, is nearing the release date for its recommendations, Bush is throwing away his one chance to save face and salvage his political/historic legacy -- which, ironically, he seems to spend a lot of time worrying about. The panel would seem to be offering him a golden opportunity to fix his broken Iraq policy, meanwhile partially erasing his image as the guy in the old joke, who says, "I did make a mistake once -- I thought I was wrong about something; turned out, I wasn't!"

But no -- listening to Baker-Hamilton would be too smart (although the panel does contain, among others, Reagan-era sleazemonger Ed Meese, so it might be asking a lot to expect stellar results from their deliberations). And this guy is too stupid. Given that his party just got it's collective butt booted out of Congress, I can't imagine him getting too much accomplished in the last two lame-duck years of his term.

Urb's Blog

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home