Sunday, September 24, 2006

BS at last!

BS in Accountancy, that is. After three years of blood, toil, tears, and sweat -- taking a few professors' names in vain along the way -- I finally have my degree from Northern Arizona University, as of Wednesday, September 20th. (Technically, the degree shows up as having a "Confer Date" of August 8th -- I guess that's like backdating options or something.)

I finished my classes and handed in the graduation paperwork in mid-July, the week before Meg and I flew out here to Providence to look for an apartment. Why, then, did I not get my degree until late September? Well, I'm not exactly sure, but when I called the Registrar's office on Thursday, they said there had been a personnel change over at the business school (which is where my graduation application sat for two months), and I apparently got lost in the shuffle for awhile.

In any case, however, they informed me that my application was processed, and my degree approved, on Wednesday, and that I have my degree in accounting (I don't know why they call it "Accountancy," since no one uses that term in the real world, except in academic publications such as the Journal of Accountancy.)

Ending my schooling with a long-distance phone call to the Registrar seemed anticlimactic, so I dug out my CD of Elgar's Pomp & Circumstance March #1 and uncrated a CD player to play it on -- I don't know if the neighbors could hear it, but I cranked the volume high enough that they might have. When you graduate in September, the only ceremony you get is the one you do yourself, so that's going to have to suffice.

But... onward and upward. Actually having the degree means I can move forward with my career, er, job search activity. That's going to resume this week.

Urb's Blog

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home